Most people feel that the only time rats are cute, is in a cartoon. Charlotte’s Web for instance, has an adorable rat named Templeton. Outside of that, most people find rats to be disgusting and full of disease. One is an opinion and the other one is fact. Rats do carry a lot of diseases.
Finding one in your home is never fun. They can live in your attic, scratch or chew up your walls, they can raid you pantry, and chew up electrical wires which can lead to a fire risk. They have been known to chew up PVC pipes, which can lead to water leaks. Rats are a nuisance and you want them gone as quickly as they came in because they can contaminate your food supply, leaving you and your family exposed to major illnesses. Their droppings can also cause illnesses too.
During the middle ages, the bubonic plague killed about 50 million people and was transmitted through fleas. There are many animals that carry fleas and all of them can cause disease. But, it was rats that got the blame for spreading the plague, a claim that has been challenged in recent years. But, what is fact, is that rats do carry disease.
- Rat-Bite Fever: If bitten by a rat, the Rickettsia virus (similar to chicken pox) can cause febrile illness in humans and lead to kidney, blood and respiratory ailments.
- Eosinophilic Meningitis: an infection in the brain that is caused by a rat lung-worm.
- Leptospirosis or Salmonellosis: caused by parasites found in rat droppings.
These diseases are serious and can cause long-term effects, so if you have a rat problem, it’s time to call in a professional. Rats are prolific for running in large numbers. While there are loners, most often you’ll see them running in packs. There is a reason why “rat pack” is a phrase people use.
Wildout Animal and Pest Removal can help you with your rat problem. We use a 5-step process that not only rids rats from your property, but also cleans up any damage they have caused and also, we take preventative steps so the furry little rodents won’t come back.
- We start by running a thorough inspection of your property. This is free and allows us to see where the entry points are located. Often times, rats access homes or offices via the roof, or tiny crawl spaces.
- Once we know where the rats are gaining entry, we can stop more from coming in. We will set up traps to rid your property from rats but, that’s only the first step.
- Our Critter Eviction Rodent Control closes up the entry points for good, so there will be no future rat problem. We will also add a deterrent that prevents a rat from even wanting to enter your property. Otherwise, they would just chew right through the closed entry points.
- But, they can also gnaw through steel and concrete. So, it becomes impossible to protect your entire home or building from ever seeing a rat again. With our Population Control step, we will regularly monitor your property to make sure you are not becoming infested again.
- The final step is often needed for homes and businesses, restoration. Rats can cause a lot of issues in both places. Most often, the damage is done to pipes, wires and attics. We will repair whatever is needed. Rats leave scent markers wherever they go so that they can find their way back. They also leave droppings everywhere and these droppings (as mentioned before) can cause disease. We will work to give you a full restoration.
Do you have a rat problem and need help?
Wildout can help: 1-844-WILDOUT. Call today! Not only will they rid your property of any and all wildlife, they will also help to repair any damage and set-up regular visits to prevent any critters from returning.